Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fission Mailed, Xbox 360 Dies Another Death


I haven't made any blog entries about video games in a while and there is a reason for it. My second Xbox 360 has been overheating (two flashing lights on the left) which if it is any indication from my last system, my Xbox 360 is on its way to a brand new RROD (red ring of death for you noobs).

It is such a dissapointment to me that microsoft with all of its money and technology, can't build a reliable system. I remember reading a report recently that stated "out of every 100 systems produced, 68 will leave the warehouse with a major problem that could lead to serious malfunction within the systems lifespan". Granted this report is dated back during the system's launch but still. That is an extremely high failure rate. The cost to repair and/or replace these systems has far exceeded what the cost would have been if microsoft had decided to spend a little more time in the R&D stage of production. Hell, most companies in the same situation would have completely went out of business. Microsoft, of course, has a lot more money to waste (apparently) and can afford to make unreliable hardware (cough, vista, cough).

I'm no hater, I love my Xbox 360 and Xbox Live (IMO) is way better than the Playstation network. But I have to ask myself, "how much money do I really want to spend on a product I cannot trust?" The day I bought my system I spent over 600 dollars in one fell swoop, buying the games and accessories to go with it so my friends and I could play. If I had spent this much money on anything else and received such bad quality in return I would never buy from that person/company again. But of course now that I have so much (time and money) invested in the damn thing its hard not to.

Even better, I called microsoft recently to inquire about getting a (what they would consider) new Xbox 360. My system is still under warranty so everything went together well. Like last time they are going to send me postage to send my 360 to them in the mail. However unlike last time, they told me I would be responsible for furnishing my own box to ship it in. The nerve, after spending well over fifteen-hundred dollars on Xbox related stuff over the years, they cant spend under 5 dollars for a box? WTF. So my friend and I came up with a funny plan. I don't have a PS3 but a buddy of mine does and he suggested that I ship them my Xbox 360 in a Playstation 3 box. And you know what, I think I will. If anything the guys at the RROD landfill (located next to the Atari E.T. game landfill) will get a laugh out of it.

So yes this has been a complete FISSION MAILED on microsoft's part. I will update you shortly on my progress with my system with pictures and stuff so stay tuned.